Faculty of Advanced Technology, University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd, CF37 1DL, Wales, UK.
Tel: +44 (0)1443 654533
Email: cbinding (at) glam.ac.uk
I have an early background in civil and structural engineering; however the advent of CAD and GIS systems in the late 1980’s made my manual draughtsmanship skills less relevant, and at that point I pursued a new career path within the field of Information Technology.
I graduated with a BSc(hons) in Computer Science from University of Glamorgan in 1997, undertaken part-time whilst working for Hyder IT. I initially joined the University of Glamorgan in 2000 to undertake development work on the FACET project. After a brief interlude with an external software development company working on large scale e-commerce systems, I rejoined the University of Glamorgan in January 2007 as a member of the Hypermedia Research Unit within the Department of Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Advanced Technology. Following completion of the STAR project (in collaboration with English Heritage Centre for Archaeology), and the PERTAINS project (in collaboration with MIMAS, University of Manchester), more recently I undertook research and development work for the STELLAR project.
Teaching and research related activities
I have undertaken lectures and tutorials on the subjects of event driven programming, semantic web and resource description framework, also providing assistance and advice on a number of ongoing BSc and PhD projects. I was an invited speaker at the 2010 Eurovoc conference, hosted by the EU Publications Office in Luxembourg. I was a member of the International Program Committee for the Dublin Core 2011 conference held in The Hague, Netherlands.
- Binding C. 2010. Implementing archaeological time periods using CIDOC CRM and SKOS. Proceedings 7th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2010), Part I, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6088, pp. 273–287. Springer.
- Binding, C., Tudhope, D. 2010. Terminology Services. Knowledge Organization 37(4). Ergon-Verlag ISSN:0943-7444
- Binding C., Tudhope D., May K. 2008. Semantic Interoperability in Archaeological Datasets: Data Mapping and Extraction via the CIDOC CRM. Proceedings 12th European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries (ECDL 2008), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5173 pp. 280–290. Springer. DOI:10.1007/978–3-540–87599-4_30
- Tudhope D., Binding C. 2008. Faceted Thesauri. Axiomathes, 18(2), pp. 211–222. Springer. DOI:10.1007/s10516–008-9031–6
- Tudhope D., Binding C., Blocks D., Cunliffe D. 2006. Query expansion via conceptual distance in thesaurus indexed collections. Journal of Documentation, 62 (4), pp. 509–533. Emerald. DOI:10.1108/00220410610673873
- Tudhope D., Binding C. 2005. Towards Terminology Services: experiences with a pilot web service thesaurus browser. Proceedings of the International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, (DC 2005), pp. 269–273. A slightly revised version selected for ASIS&T Bulletin 32(5), 6–9, June/July 2006.
- Binding C. 2005. XML Techniques for the Representation and Interchange of Thesaurus Data. D-Lib Magazine Volume 11 Number 1, January 2005.
- Tudhope D., Binding C. 2004. A Case Study of a Faceted Approach to Knowledge Organisation and Retrieval in the Cultural Heritage Sector. Digicult Thematic Issue 6 – Resource Discovery Technologies for the Heritage Sector pp. 28–33
- Binding C., Tudhope D. 2004. Integrating Faceted Structure into the Search Process. Proceedings 8th International Society of Knowledge Organization Conference (ISKO 2004), UCL London. (Ed: Ia C. McIlwaine), Advances in knowledge Organization, 9, Ergon Verlag. pp. 67–72. ISBN:3-89913-357-9 ISSN:0938-5495
- Binding C., Tudhope D. 2004. KOS at your Service: Programmatic Access to Knowledge Organisation Systems. Journal of Digital Information, 4 (4)
- Tudhope D., Binding C., Blocks D., Cunliffe D. 2002. Compound Descriptors in Context: A Matching Function for Classifications and Thesauri. Proceeding of the 2nd ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2002), Portland. ACM Press. pp. 84–93. ISBN:1-58113-513-0 DOI:10.1145/544220.544235